The start of a new year feels like a clean slate — if embracing your skin is on your to-do list this year, we've curated a list to help you make the best of your Eminence Organics skin care routine.
1. Remove old, expired products
The days after Boxing Day tend to see us purging to make space for new additions, so why not clean out your skin care stash, too? We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but tossing your products when they’re past their prime is part of a healthy skin care routine.
While products that are past their prime won’t necessarily harm your skin, they may not give you the greatest results. In general, Eminence Organics products are the most fresh in the first 12 to 15 months after opening. Over time, exposure to air, light, moisture and bacteria breaks down products and causes them to degrade.Signs A Product Has Expired
Here are a few signs your skin care is expired:
- It has started to separate
- It has a funky odor
- Its texture has changed (it becomes lumpy, runny, dry, etc)
If you need to part with a few of your products empty the contents into the garbage can. Don't forget to recycle the containers! And truthfully, if you haven't used it often, consider trying a different product instead of repurchasing.
2. Drink Water
You might be rolling your eyes at this one because you've likely heard it over and over again, but it's true! Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water will not only benefit your general health, your skin will appear brighter, radiant, tighter and less puffy. But don't take our word for it. Try it!
3. Wash Your Face. Three Times.
Wash your face once in the morning to cleanse away overnight skin purging, and double cleanse each night before bed. Double cleansing is one of the best skin care strategies for healthy, youthful-looking skin!
Cleanse first with an oil-based cleanser such to breakdown impurities like makeup, sunscreen, oil and pollution. Oil cleansers attract and draw out oil from elements that builds up on the surface of your skin. If you have oily skin you can absolutely use an oil-based cleanser. We recommend using Stone Crop Cleansing Oil.
Wash your face a second time with your favourite cream, foam or gel cleanser to remove any remaining residue, ensuring your skin is thoroughly clean and refreshed. Choose a Cleanser best suited to your skin's needs.
4. Exfoliate Twice a Week
Exfoliating your skin is a great way to remove built up surface impurities and dead skin cells, illuminating your skin and allowing treatment products like serums, masks and moisturizers to better absorb. Exfoliation can be added to your routine twice a week or every day, if it is gentle enough for daily use like the Eminence Organics Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant.
5. Mask 2-3 Times a Week
We might consider using face masks an indulgent treat when we have extra time but they are an integral part of a great skin care routine. Masks deliver highly concentrated actives, vitamins and nutrients to the skin to improve its overall health. Masking should follow cleansing and toning. These steps prep your skin to better absorb the benefits of your face mask
6. Apply Products in the Right Order
Applying skin care products can be both intimidating and confusing when you aren't sure of where products fit into your routine. Layering products in the correct order determines how effectively they absorb into the skin. Follow this guide to help you apply your Eminence Organic Skin Care products in the order that will give you the greatest skin-loving benefits.
As a general rule, the order in which you apply your skin care products should begin with the lightest to the richest consistency:
1. Cleanser - clears skin of sebum, dirt and pollutants
2. Toner - balances skin pH and conditions the skin
3. Exfoliant - (twice a week)
4. Essence - adds hydration and enhances ingredient absorption in the next steps
5. Mask (2-3 times a week) - delivers potent ingredients to nourish skin
6. Serum, Concentrate, Face Oil - apply potent and nutrient-dense products to target specific skin concerns. You can also layer serums, concentrates and oils!
7. Moisturizer - Lock in moisture and the nutrient-rich ingredients you just applied to the skin
8. Eye Cream - Don't skip this step - this is the first place the signs of aging are visible!
9. SPF (Day Time) - For a day time skin care routine, sunscreen should be the last step. For daytime use, it’s a good idea to find a moisturizer that contains sunscreen.
10. Night Cream (Evening) - Thicker and heavier than everyday moisturizers, night creams seal in serums and protect the skin during sleeping hours to prevent moisture loss.
7. Use the Right Amount of Product
Applying too much product is one of the biggest skin care mistakes made. When applying Eminence Organic Skin Care products it is important to remember that they are highly concentrated. A little goes a long way! Follow this guide for application quantities that are just right:
Cleanser - blueberry-sized amount (or half a pump)
Toner - three spritzes
Essence - a large blueberry-sized amount
Exfoliant - one-two shakes of a powder exfoliant, or a raspberry-sized amount (or one-two pumps) of an exfoliating peel
Mask - emulsify a cherry-sized amount of mask in your hand with a few drops of water and apply a panty-hose thin layer over face and neck
Serum, Oil or Concentrate - pea-sized amount or 1-2 drops
Moisturizer - blueberry-sized amount
Eye Cream - grain of rice amount for each eye
SPF - pea-sized amount
Want to build an Eminence skin care routine or need help fitting the right skin care products into your routine? Connect with us to learn more about the different types of skin care products available.